Watch the mini-show.
Choosing a working title is a clarifying exercise that helps you define your book idea before you’ve even written a single word of your manuscript.
Some quick dos and don’ts:
- DO brainstorm your title. Try to come up with at least 15 possibilities.
- DO narrow your list to your top 5, then do some research on Amazon. Are there other books with the same title in your genre? If so, can you tweak your title to be slightly different?
- DO ask a few friends what they think about your top ideas. If there's consensus, adjust your list accordingly.
- DO choose one title to be your working title—for now :)
- DON’T get too wordy. One-word titles are super popular now. Think Untamed. Wild. Pivot. Platform. Educated. Caste.
- DON'T choose something vague or confusing. If your title doesn’t communicate something central about your book idea or story, it probably isn’t going to be effective. Or if it makes you think the book is...